Monday, June 25, 2012

Marlon Byrd Tests Positive For PED

Former Red Sox OF Marlon Byrd has been suspended 50 games for testing positive for a banned, performance enhancing, substance.

Byrd was designated for assignment by the Red Sox three weeks ago and was subsequently released. He has yet to sign with another team and the suspension makes that even more unlikely.

Byrd released the following statement through the Major League Baseball Players Association:

"I made an inexcusable mistake. Several years ago, I had surgery for a condition that was private and unrelated to baseball. Last winter, I suffered a recurrence of that condition and I was provided with a medication that resulted in my positive test. Although that medication is on the banned list, I absolutely did not use it for performance-enhancement reasons."

For once I actually believe the offender. If he was taking it for performance enhancing reasons I can only assume he'd have put up better numbers. At the time of his release he was hitting .210 with 1 HR and 9 RBI in 143 AB (with the Cubs and Red Sox). Not the typical power numbers you'd expect from a guy on PEDs.

No comments:

Post a Comment