Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Sports and Politics Just Don't Mix

I'm not going to start this article out by suggesting I know anything about American Politics, because I don't. I am only 75% sure there is an election this year ... that's how much I care or know. But when politics crosses over into sports that's when I'll throw my two cents in.

Today President Obama was in Boston (campaigning?). It is a well known fact that Obama is a staunch supporter of Chicago sporting teams. Once he went out to the mound at Nationals Park and pulled out a White Sox hat before throwing out the first pitch. Nationals fans weren't too impressed.

(See there's picture proof).

Now back to today, Obama, White Sox, in Boston ... get where this is going?

No, Obama didn't lament his team trading Brent Lillibridge to the Red Sox.

However, if you said Obama ribbed the crowd about the White Sox recent acquisition of Kevin Youkilis you'd be correct.

Now this is where the story gets a little muddled. Depending on who you ask the crowd responded with either "boo", "Youuuuk"' or a mix of the two.

Obama heard it as boo's:

''I'm just saying,'' a smiling Obama told the audience. ''I didn't think I'd get any boos out of here. I guess I should not have brought up baseball. My mistake.''

When Obama conceded, ''You've got to know your crowd,'' he received some laughter.

I'm fine with all that. It's just a bit of lighthearted fun. Sports poke at each other all the time. Why shouldn't the President of U.S. do the same? He was just happy that his team finally has a bat at the hot corner and the Red Sox practically paid the White Sox to take Youkilis off their hands. Comment, boo's/Youk's ... should be the end of the story.

Instead Mit Romney's Press Secretary had to throw some fuel on the fire:

''Maybe the president should have congratulated the team for winning the World Series in 2004 and 2007,'' Andrea Saul said in an email. ''Instead, he chose to mock them for trading away one of its favorite players at a time when the team is struggling.''

Stick to politics, please. You're out of your element here Andrea. Mocking is too harsh a term to describe what Obama did. I wish politicians would just take things a little less seriously. Romney's camp make it sound like Obama's not fit to run a country because, as some people seem to feel, his comments were inappropriate. If you don't like him or his politics that's fine. But don't try to make him out to be a bad President because he's a devout Chicago sports fan (it's not the best choice but hey we all make mistakes).

His comments were far from inappropriate. They were timely and they were funny from one sports fan to another (or a group of them).

Republicans, stop pandering for votes.

No comments:

Post a Comment