Friday, June 22, 2012

MLB Uniform Policy ... Or Lack There Of

This is something that has been bothering me for quite some time. I decided someone else needed to hear about it. Why does MLB allow teams to have 4 uniforms? It actually drives me crazy as it seems so unnecessary. I get that it's an extra jersey that you can charge fans $100+ (US) for and that's a nice added revenue stream, but come on, isn't three enough? Don't think other league's are exempt either, I hate when NFL teams do it as well.

The whole idea to complain about this came recently when I was watching the Red Sox. They were wearing their alternate navy blue unis. I hate those shirts. They look like they belong in batting practice. Now I like the home whites, the road greys, and the alternate reds that the Sox wear. Three jerseys. That's enough. Even though I don't like the navy blue tops I'd be happy if they eliminated the red jersey then. Stick to three, please.

I just like the classic look. I hate the Yankees but I respect the fact that they only wear their pinstripes at home and their greys on the road. I find some sort of peace in knowing what they'll be wearing. If they added a third jersey to their rotation it just wouldn't feel right. What colour would it be, black? No, thanks. Imagine if they added two jersey's. A black one and a slightly off colour grey. Mmmm appealing.

Fans will buy your jerseys even if you only have three, I'm pretty sure. The Red Sox especially do not need that added revenue stream.

Before I go any further I should note that I am fine with throwback jersey's that teams wear once or even a few times a season. That's alright. A regular second alternate, or fourth uniform though, not cool.

Here are the teams that are guilty of HAVING TOO MANY JERSEYS:

AL
A's (white, grey, green, yellow)
Indians (white, off-white, grey, navy blue)
Mariners (white, grey, navy blue, green-ish)
Orioles (white, grey, orange, black)
Rangers (white, grey, red, blue)
Rays (white, grey, light blue, dark blue)
Red Sox (white, grey, red, navy blue)
Royals (white, grey, light blue, blue)
Twins (white, off-white, grey, navy blue x2)

NL
Astros (white, pinstripe white, grey, red)
Braves (white, off-white, grey, red, navy blue)
Brewers (white, pinstripe white, grey, navy blue x2)
Diamondbacks (white, grey, red, black)
Giants (white, grey x2, orange)
Marlins (white, grey, orange, black)
Mets (white, pinstripe white, grey, black)
Nationals (white, grey, red, navy blue)
Padres (white, grey, navy blue, camouflage)
Rockies (white, grey, black, purple)

That's 19. Yes ONE-NINE teams that have, at least, 4 jerseys they regularly wear. It's ridiculous.

I just don't get it. Why do you need a white jersey and an off-white jersey? Why do you need a jersey that's the same colour but has two different logos on it? The answer? YOU DON'T!!!

I wish MLB would step in and put a stop to this ridiculousness. I'm going to pick on a few teams in particular because they're uni's are just plain stupid.

Tampa Bay Rays - do you really need two different colour blues? Come on pick one, stick to it.

Minnesota Twins - hey you have two navy blue jerseys. One says Minnesota and the other says Twins. I don't think we could have figured out who you are so I'm glad you have options on your alternates depending on whether you are home or away. You have five, yes five, jerseys. Two are the same colour and two are some sort of white. Give me a break.



Milwaukee Brewers - You are guilty of the same offence as Minnesota. Two navy blues. Come on now. I will give you some credit for your throwback, pinstripe, white jersey, though. It's a beaut.

San Fransisco Giants - You might be guilty of the stupidest jersey offence. Who has two road grey's? You just introduced the grey with "SF" over the left chest. Let's hope you dump it after the one season.

Miami Marlins - I just hate your new uniforms and logos. Go back to Florida.

Padres - Camouflage, really? If it's a tribute jersey that's cool, but an everyday alternate? FAIL.

Now on the other hand I would like to give some major credit to the Cardinals, Dodgers, Tigers and Yankees. Historical teams remaining true to their roots. One home white and one road grey. Classic looks. A+.

Also the follow teams just run with three unis. Angels, Blue Jays, White Sox, Cubs, Phillies (even though you have two whites), Pirates and Reds. Good work, I'll still give you an A.

It's never going to happen - a rule against how many uniforms you can have - but now I feel better for having ranted about it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment